Thursday 10 December 2009

Carbon Footprint

(Click on the image to view the picture clearly)

"Reduce your Carbon footprint and retard the process of Global Warming" is the mantra we all get to hear.
So what is this Carbon Footprint?

Carbon Footprint is a measure of the total quantity of gaseous emissions of Greenhouse Gases (gases that cause an undesirable and disproportionate heating-up of the earth's atmosphere) emitted by an individual in one year;
  • directly (such as by burning fuel), or
  • indirectly (through consumption of products and services that have resulted in such emissions in the manufacturing process)

There are three main gases that are classified as 'Greenhouse Gases': Carbon Dioxide, Nitrous Oxide, and Methane. By converting Nitrous Oxide and Methane into equivalent quantities of Carbon Dioxide, one can arrive at a total amount of 'Carbon Dioxide Equivalents' produced per year.

In a nutshell, your Carbon Footprint value is the number of tonnes (1 tonne =1000 kgs) of Carbon Dioxide equivalents you have generated in one year. (courtesy NO2CO2)

Click on this link(Carbon Calculator) to know the amount of Carbon dioxide equivalent you generate/year.

Once you do that, post your results here as a comment to this post. Don't worry if your value comes beyond the expected range given in the site. The idea is to realize our individual impact on the ecosystem and then take collective measures to reduce our respective carbon emissions.

All is not over yet. You and I can still make a tangible difference! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey I calculated my Carbon Footprint, it is 3.34tonnes/annum. Amazed to learn from the graph that my electricity consumption was the highest contributor.
    Waiting to see yours....let's find solutions....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I calculated my Carbon Footprint and....... I exceed the Indian standards but my footprints is lower than International standards. Its 2.04 tonnes/annum. In my case too electricity consumption is the highest contributor. Will try and reduce my electricity consumption as will have to practice before I preach others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Thanks for sharing. I calculated my Carbon Footprint, I am surprised. (I read your post it is informative. I shared your post in 24 hour Des Moines Towing site.

    ReplyDelete